31 July 2010

Organic black rice from the Borneo highland




I bought this bag of black rice from the WWF-Borneo Highland Community craft stall at the World Rainforest Music Festival in Kuching, Sarawak. This rice is produced by the highland community of South Krayan in Kalimantan. This is a fair trade product with proceeds going back to support community based conversation projects in the area. I was glad at the time to buy this to show support for the project, but I was even more glad I did after I cooked it. The rice, which is organic by the way, is so tasty --it is nutty and chewy and has a great aroma. And I love the color. Here is how it looks like after it has been cooked (used my trusty rice cooker).



I had some for dinner with a side of stir fried greens (called chye sim here in Singapore; I stir fried it with garlic and egg and sprinkled on top with sesame seeds). It was delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment